Last December, Kevin Crothers, a member of HYC for the past 14 years and currently owns Amelia Ann (Westerly Centaur) was awarded the Maritime Institute's Gold Medal for his services to the institute over the past 36 years.
Kevin founded the Irish Underwater Archaeological Research Team during the 1980s. He was responsible in 1984 for having
the first ever wreck preservation order placed on the QUEEN VICTORIA, which perished in a snow storm off Howth in 1859.
In 1986 he acted on behalf of the Government (The Office of Public Works) during the recovery of cannons from the Armada
ship JULIANA from Streedagh Strand, Co. Sligo.
The cannons were transported to an OPW depot in Co. Leitrim.
Kevin Crothers with Maritime Institute Gold Medal
The JULIANA was one of three ships wrecked on the beach with the loss of 1,039 men. One of these cannons was on display in the special Armada exhibition at the Maritime Museum in 1988 to mark the institute's 400th anniversary.
Kevin joined the Maritime Institute in 1973 and headed the Museum Committee in 1976. He was a council member in 1978 and was awarded honorary life membership of the Institute in 1983. He was elected Vice President of the Institute in 1984.